Saturday, November 24, 2007

Shop Till You Drop

We did it, Todd and I got up at 5:30am on Friday to get to Target by 6:00. We had specific items that we wanted to get at a greatly reduced price. I can't tell you what those things are, in case little eyes read this blog. As we drove up, the line of people that wrapped around the store, started entering and everyone ran to electronics. I will spare you the details, but we got what we wanted. I wonder how much of it was made in China? Do you know that I saw a news story the other day titled "How to have a China free Christmas". My sister and brother in law have been been going China free long before this. Not because of the lead paints but because much of the items are made by politcial prisoners. How ironic that now all this "bad news" is coming out of China. Having tried to buy China free for them before, I can tell you it is not easy. I personally don't buy all China free but i do try to make a difference with my buying. A few of my favorite places to buy gifts from are Ten Thousand Village which is the largest fair trade organizations and St. Jude's Holiday catalog. All their proceeds go to St. Jude's research hospital. And for the person that has everything, consider buying a goat or pig for a very poor family in the name of the person that has everything. My sisters and I bought a lama in my parents name and then we found a stuffed lama at ten thousand villages to remind them of the gift. If you are buying for me, i would be thrilled with any of the above. But if that's not your cup of tea, you can always get me a gift card.

No comments: